Sunday, November 19, 2006

Alfa Company

I need to tell you about the guys that make up Alfa Co., Det. XXXXX Iraq

CM1 Jones: Nice guy. Hard to read but we’ll see if we can crack him.
EO1 Vanhout “Cubby”: One of the coolest and most genuine people that I have met out here and anywhere else for that matter. The guy has twenty plus years of experience operating equipment and a fantastic worth ethic to go with it, so needless to say we look to him to guide us along.
EO2 Woodard “Woody”: Another good guy. I met him in Gulfport and I liked the guy from the get go. He is now in charge of our crew and he is doing a real good job of stepping up for us. He was asked to find someone to go outside the wire. He could have picked any one of us but he volunteered himself.
EO2 Gill, Marty: A funny, funny guy. Ex. I was playing some of MY music. I asked Marty if he minded it and he said, “No, of course not.” So I let it play. He comes back with the following line, “Excuse me sir, more salsa please.” Ha!
Even though he is dealing with a major issue back home, the guy will go out of his way to be there for anyone that needs him. In the short time that we have been out here he has been one of the people that just cracks me up but can just as quickly turn around and just listen.
EO2 Tew, Shawn: This guy rubbed me the wrong way from day one and I did everything that I could to avoid him. In a group he talks just to draw attention to himself. As luck would have it, I ended up being his roommate. After talking to him one on one I realized that the guy is pretty deep. The guy is one of the best operators I’ve ever been around and he can easily let his actions do all of the talking and bragging for him.

Unfortunately this line up did not stay together for very long. Cubby and Tew were ordered back to HQ so they both left our base a couple of mornings ago. Talk about leaving a huge hole. These two guys just cannot be replaced. Regardless, this band of brothers will move forward and hopefully, before everything is said and done, we will get the chance to be sent out on another mission and all of the crap will keep on rollin’!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home