Monday, November 13, 2006

Good times...

As I have told most of you and I am sure that your friends and or family members that have served in the military have told you that the best way to deal with what we go through out here is by finding humor in everything that we do. That said…

Part of project is building security barriers around the SWA huts that we are building for the marines. The government has signed a contract with a company that invented the Hesco barrier. It is mesh grid square that has a flannel type material lining the inside of the walls. It is available in different sizes and they come stacked on pallets. Anyway, once lined up or if needed stacked, they are filled with dirt, sand and rock and they can stop small arms fire and absorb a number of mortar and/or rocket attacks. So, for a job this size we have been filling Hescos at a hectic pace, we managed to get ahead of schedule. Our project lead had the following conversation with our company leader.

“Nice work. Are we going to have enough Hescos for the job?”
“We should be good to go. However, we may need to order more dirt.”
“How much more?”

Blank stares all around.

If you don’t see the humor in this, wake up!!! We are in Iraq. Aside from oil, this country’s most readily available resource is dirt, sand and rock. It’s everywhere and it’s free!!!!

Next up….

“Hey Doc, I think I’m dehydrated.”
“Really? When did you urinate last and what color was it?”
“The color is fine, it just tastes funny.”

Ha! Doc was having a bad day so I had to find a way to snap her out of the funk that she was in. And I was kidding about the taste. It still tastes the same as it did as the day that I got out here.

Given the fact that we are just on this side of the horizon of having a heck of a bad day, the guys out here, especially the ones in my company have done a great job of keeping one another’s spirits up. Yes, the majority of the time we are laughing about something or someone but if that is what keeps us focused and more importantly, helps in getting us back home safely then we’ll keep the laughs going.


About the pic with Chuck Norris...

Chuck Norris does not tea bag people, he potatoe sacks them.
Chuck Norris' beard hides a third fist.

He was real cool. The more that we thanked him and Marshall Teague (Road House, Armageddon etc.) for coming out the more that they thanked us for serving.
I went up to take my pic with them and I leaned over to Chuck, "Nice to meet you Mr. Norris. I've been a big fan since Bruce Lee beat the snot out of you. I think that I can take you, at least now that you are pushing 100 you old bastard. Oh! 'Cheese'!"
and then I took of running.
"Just kidding Chuck!!!"
I woke up the next morning with a black eye and a broken rib. The man IS that good. I've been looking over my shoulder ever since.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home