Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving y’all!!! Well, I never would have imagined myself spending this Thanksgiving so far from home. I will tell you that the meal that we had was almost as good as any that I have ever had. We had smoked turkey, ham, steak and all of the trimmings. The chow hall was decorated top to bottom and although every one of us was thinking of home we kept the mood as festive as possible. We finished dinner and then the strangest thing happened. We normally walk back to our hooches together but tonight we gave each other some room. I guess we all had to unwind and in my case I had a few words that I sent across the evening sky, hoping that somehow my family and friends would hear them. Why was it so strange? We did not have to say anything to one another.
We are a tight knit group but the isolation (in being away from home) that we deal with can be too much to go at alone. So what do we do to get through the hard times? The average age of our reserve battalion is thirty seven. You would think that we would be all business out here but on contrary. We laugh and we laugh at some of the stooooopidest things. From the dumbest one liners to guys passing gas. Summer camp for grown men. It just does not stop.
Being in the military we have to accept the fact that what is working like a top today is going to be changed, for no reason, tomorrow. What do we do when that happens? We laugh. Yes, some guys blow their tops and go on and on about “This is all bull crap!” Blah, blah, blah! So what do we do about these guys? We laugh at them too.
Check this out….
Unlike some of the guys that are forward of us, we do enjoy showers with hot water. The army makes this possible for us. For some reason, some one decided to relieve themselves in one of the shower stalls and no, I am not referring to going number one. This person(s) decided to drop a load. We laughed about it. “Was it too dark out that they mistook the shower for a honey bucket? They smell about the same but come on!” The army decided to remove all of the shower curtains, even the ones that separate you from the guy next to you. Very uncool. So what do we do? We show up at the shower tent that evening singing, “It’s Raining Men”. The next day, the shower curtains were back up. Damn sailors. Ha!
That’s it for now.
God Bless You and yours….

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blogs...glad you sound so great. I can almost hear you singing...Hope you don't mind if I share this site with some of my friends. Take care!

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home