Friday, March 23, 2007

Transition..





1,209 miles, 23 with 2 hours and 40 minutes of sleep, six Monsters and a three Power bars later, I made it home!!! I pulled into El Paso just in time to drive by my kids school just as they were getting out for the day. I stopped down the street and waited for them to walk past me. They did not look in my direction which was perfect. I sat there and just watched them for a few seconds. Man, they have grown! I pulled from the curb and past them again. I stopped and pulled out my camera. I began filming them and as they came alongside my rental, Marcelo looked across the street directly at me. I put the camera down and smiled at him. He just froze. Sergio looked back at his little brother and then over at what he was staring at. He realized that Marcelo was looking at Dad. And he did the same thing. They looked at the ground, then eachother and back at me. They started making their way over to me, I stepped out of the vehicle and drew them in as close as humanly possible. But we did not cry. WE did not but I did. They climbed into the vehicle and we made our way home. The whole way home they kept looking at me and at eachother with very little emotion on their faces. They were in shock. I kept looking back at them and at how much they have changed. We made it home and the dogs went nuts. Their barks even sounded confused. Instead of BARK! BARK! it was more like "BAH-BUHRK, WTF?!?!" I made it into the house, yes, Monica knew that I was coming. She was waiting for me with the baby in her arms. I took the baby in my arms and saying that the dam broke is an understatement. FEMA was kicking in the door to see if we needed assistance with the flooding. OK, so they showed up two weeks later but you get the picture. We held eachother for what seemed like 8 months. That's when the boys let loose and cried. We sat down and just let the emotions out.
It was cool.


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You sure know how to make the rest of us tear up too! She's adorable just like the rest of the family.

Thank you for serving, for sacrificing and for sharing your journey. I miss ya!

3:24 PM  
Blogger MGD said...

I'll second that... Welcome back.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home