Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Waiting game...



March 20, 2007
I am now going through the demobilization process. So much of it is such a waste of time. We are ordered to muster at a certain time but we never start the scheduled evolution on time. Most of the time has been spent listening to briefs on material that we are all ready familiar with. Before making it back to Gulfport, the military had been putting such an emphasis on helping us to transition back to 'normal'. The truth is so much of what we have done so far is absolutely unnecessary. Much of the information that we have received is overkill. We have been through much of this training before. It almost seems like they dug up ways to fill up our days but yet we get two to three hours for lunch. “We want to help you get processed out ASAP so that you can get back home.” And yet, if you need any follow up or additional information no one can be found as the regular navy cuts out by 3 p.m. So we have to wait until the next day. Thanks! But there's more. This morning we went down for our morning muster at 0715. We turned in the last of our gear. We were finished by 0730. I was back in my room and I did not have to be back until 1300. That is more than five hours of nothing. It does not make any sense for me. “We want you out of here ASAP but we are going to give you lots of time off.” Don't they understand that all that we do, all of us, is sit around and have WTF?! conversations about this process?
For me, all that I can is watch the second hand on the clock and wonder, “How much longer before I get to go home? Hold the baby for the first time? My boys? Monica? My family?
I am in a hurry to go home but before I do that I feel that I do need to uncork some of the “stuff” that I have kept inside. I have requested permission to not fly home but instead take a road trip across this part of the country. I've always enjoyed road trips but this time it will be “new”. While I was away I kept picturing scenes from small town America. The out of the way towns, hidden along the back roads that, to me, have always defined America.
Pic: This flag was a gift from my Mom and Dad. Normally, it hangs in our sun room. This flag traveled with me everywhere that I went while in country. It served as reminder as to what I left behind, the reasons why I went to Iraq and what I have to look forward to going home to. I had it flown in their honor the day before I left Al Asad, Iraq.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home