Sunday, December 31, 2006

2007

Well another year is now upon us. We are now on the 'back nine' and you can tell. We are starting to see a bit of short timers in some of the guys, the command has already started sending out information on the turnover (with the battalion that is going to relieve us) I can't believe that it has been almost five months since I left home.

I received an e-mail from my oldest son and it read, "Dad, don't leave us again. We know that you love being a Seabee but we want you to retire." Sergio is not one to open up too much so for him to take the time to do this tells me a whole lot and to be honest, it makes me second guess, again, the reasons why I did not put up much of a fight to come out here. Unlike active duty, the reserves have a couple of clauses that if one wanted to, one could avoid being called up. I did not want to go that route. I made a commitment that I would serve my country in time of peace and if needed, in time of war. So here I am. Dealing with the things that need to be dealt with and e-mails such as the one that he sent me is something to add to that. Does it hurt to read that? Of course, but it also helps me to stay focused on the job at hand. I've been asked, "Why did you stay in the reserves with the war still going on?" I do not support the war. It's not about me wanting to be a hero. I have known many of the guys in this battalion for over 8 years. It's about being there for one another. What about my wife, my kids and my family? It's hard to explain and I don't even know if I can explain it but it is about the guy standing next to me. We are out here working, supporting the kid outside of the wire, standing the watch, patroling the streets, sleeping outside in the cold. I watch these guys gear up, jump in their vehicles and head off base. They do this every day. Many of them joined after 9/11 knowing that more than likely they were going to be sent out here. 9/11 happened and since then I have been wanting to get out here and do something. Is it in me to go out there and be ground pounder, a grunt? Yes, but because of my family and my commitment to them, I did not go that route.
I miss my family, my kids, my wife, my family and my friends but I have no regrets about doing the work that I am doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home